Saturday, June 13, 2009

I'm sitting in the study at my house. I think it's the first time I've been in here since I've been back besides to use the printer. Before I had my computer this is where I would blog from (on xanga...yes, I know, I've always been a dreadful nerd) late at night. I would "sneak" in here after everyone had gone to bed and just let out my thoughts. Since I've left though my dad has reclaimed his study.

It's funny how things change. I was driving to play practice the other day (I think I spend most of my time driving between home and there now) and I was thinking about how much has changed since I first started taking lessons from that studio. I was nine when I started going. I could list off all the things that are different - some that are good and some that are bad. But in the midst of the sea of differences I found, I realized two things are still the same: 1) The fact I'm still short and 2) My heart for adventure.

Belle sings in Beauty and the Beast (that play really does rule my life), "I want adventure in the great, wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell..." And I suppose it's true...I suppose I do want that. I think a there's a little bit in all of us that does. After all, we did used to be young children who dreamt about doing great things. There were no limits to our dreams, nothing to keep us from shying away from "adventure life" into a "safe life." I used to want to dance professionally, and be a firefighter, and be in the Air Force, and be a lawyer (because my mommy said I could out argue anyone!). I wanted to climb to the tops mountains and dive to depths of the ocean. I wanted to find adventure and I didn't plan to wait until found me.

I have to admit, I have been able to go amazing places. I have seen beautiful things. I've done fun stuff, but it's just not enough for me! As I sit here in the same chair I used to sit in as a little girl, I realize that I've become extremely stick-in-the-mudish. I still plan to find adventure, but I think part of me is waiting for it to find me out. Mark Twain wrote, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

And so, I give myself and you the same charge. Explore, dream, discover. Go find adventure, and don't wait for it to find you.

No comments: