Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm sitting the library on what I've come to call the "fierce couch". No one else calls it that, but it has leopard print on it and some animal print pillows. It's pretty fierce - hence the name. I suppose if my mom reads this she will get mad at me because I'm blogging before I finished my homework. I have full intention of getting my work done, so calm down. All of my thoughts are running through my head at such a rate that I have to get them out before I can accomplish anything (and trust me, blogging does not accomplish anything. I have tried to reason a pathway to make that conclusion and I cannot, sadly.) .

We had a good speaker in chapel today. He had been delivered from a life of homosexuality - and he was actually delivered. I get tired of seeing people delivered and then sucked back into the lifestyle. It's heartbreaking. I was happy to hear is testimony.

People rightly say that your words mean a lot. It is definitely true. Words impact people. But something I'm beginning to learn (I know, it's basic stuff I should know) is that your thoughts will impact a lot too. Negative thought patterns will produce negative attitudes which will in turn produce negative words. It's a vicious cycle. I am a realist. To quote the movie Hitch (which I still haven't seen all the way through), "No you are a realist masquerading as a pessimist who is actually an optimist." I suppose that if I were honest I'm more of a pessimist than anything. I usually say I'm a realist with a pessimistic twist. My dad would always get onto me because thoughts control so much of your outlook on life. The ironic thing is my dad is slightly pessimistic himself. It's not something that I strove for. I don't wake up everyday and say, "Let me find something hopeful today and make it depressing." No, that just happens naturally. It is a challenge to wake up and say, "Come what may, today is a good day." That is the power of thought.

Speaking of good days, my tech savvy mom sends my sister and I a text every morning saying, "Have a blessed day!" At first I thought, "How cute! Look at my mother and her sweet text messages!" But I was sitting in class one morning and it dawned on me. She's not just being sweet, she's blessing my day! My day has been blessed! Suddenly my 7:30 class was not a worthless class, but it was a worthless class that had been blessed. I am honored to have someone who will bless my day. The cool thing about it is, I know she doesn't just say that. I know that her and my father pray that my day be blessed. That is cool. We don't truly speak blessings enough. Sure we say "God bless you" as we pass people in church, but do we pray that they be blessed in Jesus name later? Just something to think about.

I guess I truly had nothing to say, never do. But if you desire something to "chew on", bite at this: Don't play the glad game, that's annoying, but wake up and bless your day and walk in that blessing - no matter what comes your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course, It's your mom (no that does not make you a looser). I'm glad you got the "have a blessed day" message. Truely I want to speak blessings in your life each day - and let you know I'm here.

Love