Monday, September 29, 2008

I went home over the weekend. It was a lot of fun. Very busy, but a lot of fun. That phrase has been in my life lately, "very busy". O well....

I realized something on my trip home and back. When I got about thirty minutes from home I began to get really anxious. I was ready to be home. I was ready to be where I was comfortable and where I fit in. I was ready to see my family, and I promise you, I was ready to sleep in my full sized bed!!!! It is where I belong - it is home.
At the same time, I grew similarly anxious when I got thirty minutes outside of school. It's not a place I feel at home, but it's where I'm supposed to be. It's not where I fit in at all times, but it is where God has placed me. It's not where my family is, but I have found a family and a comfort in God's peace. It is certainly not where I have a comfortable full sized bed, but I do have my fierce couch in the library.

I suppose my point is heaven and life on earth might be that way - or should be that way. We aren't supposed to be at home here on earth, but it's where we are supposed to be for now. It would be much nicer to go on home to heaven, but we have a duty here. We have a calling here. We have a peace in God's presence here. Sometimes we lose that eagerness to get home though. I think it's because we've been here on earth so long it seems like we could easily make this our happy estate. I didn't miss home too much until I got thirty minutes away. Maybe we've just been too far from home to realize how much we miss it. Maybe some of us don't miss it at all. I hope that I will continue to yearn for being in God's embrace, just as I yearned for being my parent's embrace. I also hope that I will not forget the urgency of my job here on earth too. Time is short. I suppose I should make it count.

My sister told me that she never wants to think the way I do. "It's too confusing," she says. I suppose it is. So, I'm sorry if this was confusing. It was just on my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the reminder of what really matters.