Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Late night movie, NYC, and Deep thoughts provoked by boredom...

Some of my friends and I went to see Batman: Dark Knight at the Imax tonight. Amazing movie. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Best quote in the entire thing.

I got a message from one of my friends in NYC tonight. He said he was just being bored. Bored in a city like New York City. I can't wrap my mind around it, but as I began thinking about it - it made sense. I hate being a tourist, but honestly, tourists have the most fun. If you live in a city, you are used to it. You have a routine. You have a numbness to it all. You have ordinary life. But tourists - tourists see the extraordinary in your ordinary life. The simple things that the native overlooks - such as buildings and landmarks - mean the world to the tourists. They live to see the "glamorous" in the things that you call "dull".

If you truly only die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain, then we are all in trouble. We overlook the big things in the small everyday, because we want the flashy. We don't always want to glory in small things, but to see the big - even if it's truly nothing. In that sense, we all become villains, because we all ruin how we were supposed to be. We were made for the still, small voice, but we look for the fire and the earthquakes.

We were all made for adventure. I know my heart yearns to find it, but perhaps what we will find - what I will find - its that adventure is found in our everyday lives. We just have to look for it.

1 comment:

Tenille Donyea said...

You know... I never realized how true all of that is until this past year. I met new people who were so intrigued by Cavanal Hill. I'd never thought anything of it, in fact, I'd never even been up there and didn't have the desire to. But I let one of my friends talk me into going and it was beautiful. I think we often do just take for granted what we have right here with us and let our selfishness take hold and want so much more.